AAS Mission Statement
To promote the understanding and prevention of suicide and support those who have been affected by it.
AAS Vision Statement
We are an inclusive community that envisions a world where people know how to prevent suicide and find hope and healing.
We accomplish this mission by directing efforts to:
- Advance Suicidology as a science; encouraging, developing and disseminating scholarly work in suicidology.
- Encourage the development and application of strategies that reduce the incidence and prevalence of suicidal behaviors.
- Compile, develop, evaluate and disseminate accurate information about suicidal behaviors to the public.
- Foster the highest possible quality of suicide prevention, intervention and postvention to the public.
- Publicize official AAS positions on issues of public policy relating to suicide.
- Promote research and training in suicidology.